We offer four different concentrations within our completely online master’s in counseling program:
Click on any of the links above to explore our program in more depth.
Our current programs prepare students to earn licensure as either a Clinical Mental Health Counselor or a School Counselor. In 2016 our Master's in counseling had been ranked #18 by bestcolleges. com. We were ranked in the Top 50 online programs for 2015 and one of the best online counseling masters programs in 2014.
Admissions to the Counseling Program:
You must submit the following materials for review by the Counseling Admissions Board. All materials should be mailed to:
Office of Graduate Studies
The University of Tennessee, Martin
227 Administration Building
Martin, TN 38238
- Three letters of recommendation from school superintendents, principals, teachers, professors and/or employers. Each letter must provide clear evidence that addresses the candidate’s counseling skills and/or potential which will enable the individual to become a counselor. Letters must be mailed to graduate studies by the reference; they must not be submitted by the applicant. Letters should be on letterhead.
- A two-page typed essay that fully describes the candidate’s skills and experiences relevant to becoming a successful counselor. The candidate must also discuss the perceived personal abilities and attributes that will enable the counseling candidate to become a successful counselor.
- A resume that fully describes the candidate’s degrees, and importantly, the person’s occupational experiences – particularly any counseling experiences obtained.
- Form that acknowledges requirement for four-day counseling residency held on the UT Martin campus. ("Acknowledgement of 4 day Counseling Residency")
- Documentation of teaching experience provided by the applicant’s school system on appropriate letterhead. Applicants without teaching experience must submit a signed acknowledgement of this requirement. (“Acknowledgement of Teaching Experience”)
- A background check is required prior to consideration by the admissions board. See www.utm.edu/ess for details on obtaining the background check.
- GRE scores – you must have a combined Verbal plus Quantitative score of 285 for conditional admissions and 300 for unconditional status. Additionally, you must have an analytical writing score of 3.5. If you do not already have a graduate degree and you have not taken any graduate course work then you do not have to submit your GRE scores until the end of your fist semester and will be admitted within an unclassified status. However, you will not be allowed to continue with the graduate program until passing GRE scores have been received.
Thank you for your interest in our program!
Ready to become Skyhawk? Find out how.
View Admissions Requirements >
Please fill out this inquiry form to receive more information about our programs.
Click Here >