The Office of Purchasing is responsible for disposing of obsolete university property. Departments declaring property in its custody as surplus should complete the Surplus Form listing all items being surplused both tagged and untagged. The Office of Purchasing will then verify the property and determine the most appropriate disposition method.
Surplus Property Pickup
Fiscal Policy on surplus property can be found by clicking the following link: 055 - Disposal of University Surplus Property.
Equipment may be disposed of and removed from University records for the following reasons:
- Trade-ins: University-owned equipment may be traded in to reduce the cost of replacement equipment.
- Sale of University Surplus Property: Provisions for the sale of surplus movable equipment appear in Fiscal Policy.
- Theft or Mysterious Disappearance: In cases of theft or mysterious disappearance of equipment or other items, the campus/unit police department must be called immediately so they can investigate or take other appropriate action.
- Equipment Dismantlement: The department head may approve that obsolete or inoperable equipment be dismantled and the parts be used to repair or rebuild other equipment.
- Equipment Destroyed or Damaged Beyond Repair
- Removal of Equipment Purchased with Grant or Contract Funds: Occasionally, a faculty member who has purchased equipment with grant or contract funds will leave the University, and the provisions of the grant or contract allow the faculty member to remove the equipment from the University.
- Transfers Between Departments
- Equipment Sold to Another Department: Occasionally, one University department may wish to sell used equipment to another department. After both departments agree on a price, the selling department should prepare a transfer voucher, which must be signed by both department heads.
- Equipment Given to Another Department: When equipment is given to another department or account, a Form T-64 must be completed and sent to the Purchasing Office. The form should be prepared by the department transferring custody of the equipment and be approved by both the transferring and receiving departments.
Surplus Property Pickup
Surplus property pickup schedule: Wednesday and Friday.
For surplus property pickup, please complete the Surplus Property Form.
The surplus property will be picked up the following Wednesday and Friday. Please do not move surplus property to the hallways.
For questions, please contact Wanda Griffin 731-881-7803 or Lori Donavant 731-881-7815
Back to Top