Telecommunications provides CATV service to UTM. Along with channels from the local cable
company, programs of special interest to the Campus Community are available.
Click Here For Channel Lineup
PROBLEMS WITH SERVICE
Any problems may be reported to the Help Desk at 7900 or HELP (4357). Some common complaints are:
POOR RECEPTION OR NO RECEPTION
Check your wire between the wall and your TV. Replace with a known good one if you can. Check other channels to see if they are working, it could be the local cable company having problems if the UTM
channels are still working.
Connecting to your Cable TV
The UTM campus has a Digital Cable TV system. In order for your TV to work properly, you must have a TV with a QAM digital tuner, OR an iView digital converter box that is purchased from the on-campus Computer Store and connected to your TV. UTM will not support, and is not responsible for any digital converter box that is purchased at an off-campus location, such as Wal-Mart, because most locations do not carry the QAM boxes. We have worked to provide these boxes at an affordable price, and to get them on campus for your convenience.
Things to Remember:
- TV’s were not required to have QAM tuners installed until 2007, if your TV is older than 2007, it most likely will NOT have a QAM tuner.
- Not all newer TV’s have QAM tuners. A lot of the lower end models have an ATSC or NTSC tuner, and those will not work.
- Wal-Mart does not sell the correct digital tuner, you must purchase one from the Computer Store.
- UTM still has 4 analog channels that will show up with a channel scan on any TV. If this is all that your TV will pick up, then the issue is with your digital tuner, not with the cable itself.
Setting up your TV
- Check your TV’s specifications to see if it has a QAM digital tuner.
- Ensure that you have a secure connection using a coaxial cable from your TV to the connection on the wall.
- Make sure the signal type in the TV channel settings is set to Cable, and not Air or Antennae.
- Run a full channel scan.
Setting up your iView converter box
- Connect your box to the wall connection with a coaxial cable
- Connect your box to your TV with a coaxial cable, an hdmi cable, or RCA cable.
- Make sure you are set to channel 3 or 4 on the back of the box, and the same on the TV, then Power on your iView box.
- At the Installation Guide menu, make sure Language is set to English, and Country is set to USA, then hit the MENU button on your remote.
- At the main menu, scroll to Channel Search, and change the Signal Type from Air to Cable, then click Auto Search.
For further assistance, Contact the UTM Help Desk