Housing Requirement

Living on campus offers invaluable educational and developmental opportunities that prepare you for future careers. To ensure you can fully embrace these opportunities, the university has established certain requirements regarding on-campus living. Here's what you need to know:

  1. 1. Academic Year Lease: Effective Fall 2024, first-time students under 21 years of age are required to sign an academic year lease. This provides you with a consistent and supportive living environment throughout the academic year.
  2. 2. Live-On Requirement Exemptions: Transfer students, Returning Students, and students who will be 21 before the first day of classes in their first term of enrollment are automatically exempt from the live-on requirement. For all other students, an Exemption Request Form must be completed. For complete Exemption information, please see the Live-On Requirement Exemption section below.
  3. 3. Housing Assignment and Rates: Students who meet the live-on requirement, have registered for classes, and have not completed a housing application/deposit or been approved for a housing exemption will receive a housing assignment at the lowest residence hall rate.

The Office of Housing is dedicated to supporting your academic journey, helping you discover yourself, and fostering a thriving community environment. We strive to create an inclusive, responsible, and accountable atmosphere that promotes academic achievement and community development.

We eagerly await the opportunity to welcome you to the UTM campus community, where we are committed to helping you soar to new heights. Should you have any questions or require further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Live-On Requirement Exemption

Transfer Students, Returning Students, and students who will be 21 before the first day of classes in their first term of enrollment are automatically exempt from the live-on requirement.

All other students will be required to submit an Exemption Request Form.

Students living at home with a parent or guardian in following counties have automatic access to the Housing Exemption Form:

  • Weakley County, TN
  • Obion County, TN
  • Carroll County, TN
  • Gibson County, TN
  • Henry County, TN
  • Fulton County, KY
  • Hickman County, KY
  • Graves County, KY

Requests for exemption based on compelling personal circumstances will be considered on an individual basis. These include financial hardship, marriage, custody of a child, military service, medical accommodations and more. To access the Housing Exemption Form for one of these criteria, please contact Mrs. Teresa Hibbard in the Office of Housing at 731-881-7737 or thibbard@utm.edu

How to Access the Exemption Request Form:

  1. Log into your My UTMartin Portal
    2. Select “Banner Self-Service”
    3. Select “Personal”
    4. Select “Housing Application”
    5. Select “Click here to go to RMS Student Web for Housing”
    6. In the new window, click on “Housing Forms”
    7. Select “Click Here” next to the Exemption Request Form
    8. Begin the form and follow the presented directions to complete your Exemption Request

    Please be aware that you will need to attach documentation pertaining to your exemption. If you have any questions, please contact Teresa Hibbard at (731) 881-7737.
Move-In Checklist

Have you...

Completed a housing application?

Paid your $50 Housing Deposit?

  • Log into your My UTMartin Portal
  • Select “Banner Self-Service”
  • Click 'Personal'
  • Click 'Payments and Deposits'
  • Click the link button to continue to TouchNet
  • Select Deposits on the top menu

Freshmen Self-Assign

  • Students who apply by March 31, 2024 will be eligible for Freshmen Self-Assign, which allows students to pick their rooms for the 2024-2025 academic year.
  • Freshmen Self Assign will take place between April and May 2024. More information will be emailed to student emails regarding instructions on how to participate in this process.
  • Students who do not participate in the Freshmen Self-Assign process will be given priority placement on an assignment from any remaining bed spaces.

Received your housing assignment?

Assignments for Fall 2024 will be released during the summer. Assignments and any changes made throughout the summer are available to view in the Housing Portal. If you are on a waiting list, you can also view your status weekly by following these steps:

  1. Log into your My UTMartin Portal
  2. Select “Banner Self-Service” on the menu bar
  3. Select "Housing Application"
  4. Select "Go to RMS Student Web for Housing"
  5. You will then arrive at the Online Housing Portal landing page
  6. Select "Assignments"
  7. Select the appropriate Housing Assignment link

Reviewed our checklist of what to bring to campus?

Reviewed room inspection procedures?

To ensure an accurate record of the condition of your housing assignment, it is recommended that all students checking into UTM housing complete their room inspection form online. Here's what you need to know:

Within 48 hours of moving into your room, suite, or apartment, please access the housing portal and carefully review and submit your room inspection form. This process ensures that the form accurately reflects the condition of your assigned space. By completing this form, you play an essential role in documenting any existing damages or issues.

Please keep in mind that students are held responsible for any damages to their room assignment that are observed during checkout but not recorded during the check-in process. Therefore, it is imperative to complete the room inspection form within the designated 48-hour timeframe. Once this period expires, the form will be locked, and the information provided will be considered binding.

By completing your room inspection form, you acknowledge that you have thoroughly inspected your room and had the opportunity to record your findings accurately. Additionally, you can include any relevant comments regarding the condition of your room that our staff can review.

We appreciate your cooperation in this process, as it helps maintain transparency and accountability within our housing community.

Reviewed your 2023/2024 Academic Year Lease?

Reviewed check-in dates and times?

First-time students at UTM should plan on moving into the halls during on Move In Mania day. More information will be emailed to UTM student's accounts soon.

Reviewed the immunization compliance process?

The General Assembly of Tennessee requires entering students to complete an immunization compliance process. Please visit the Student Health Immunization Compliance page for full details.Failure to provide adequate documentation of Meningitis vaccination will prevent you from moving into your housing assignment.

Reviewed the Housing Handbook?

Considered Renter's Insurance?

When making preparations for beginning your education at the University of Tennessee, we feel it is important for students to fully consider all of their property insurance needs, whether they live on or off-campus. Occasionally, incidents such as fire, theft, flood and other casualties occur that may result in damage or loss of a student’s property. The University of Tennessee does not carry insurance on resident’s belongings and will not pay to replace them. Therefore, we strongly encourage parents and students to make sure they are able to cover these unexpected costs or secure insurance protection on personal property.

The most frequent causes of student property loss are theft and accidental damage (dropping, spilling liquids, and similar events). If this were to happen, your out-of-pocket costs to repair or replace will generally run between $500 and $2,000. Some parents choose to rely on homeowner’s insurance to cover such losses. Homeowner’s policies provide some coverage but generally do not cover “breakage” or accidental damage, and usually have high deductibles that effectively leave most student property losses unrecoverable.

To purchase coverage, please visit www.CollegeStudentInsurance.com

If you decide to purchase insurance, there are a wide variety of companies and policies available; so to help with your choice the University of Tennessee has made arrangements with Arthur J. Gallagher & Co., one of our preferred brokers, to offer specialized student property protection insurance. Arthur J. Gallagher has created this property insurance plan especially for students living away from home, either on or off campus. The coverage afforded by their policy is broader than most renter’s and homeowner’s insurance policies that are available in the insurance market. Special provisions and benefits of their policy include:

  • Replacement Cost Valuation
  • Flood and Earthquake Coverage
  • Low Deductibles starting at $25
  • Worldwide Coverage Territory
  • Limited Identity Theft Expense Coverage
  • Premiums as low as $69 annually

If you have any questions please feel free to contact the Office of Risk Management or visit collegestudentinsurance.com/faq.aspx.

Please note that Liability Coverage is not automatically included. You will be given the option to purchase Bodily Injury and Property Damage Liability Coverage to pay for damages for which the student is held legally liable (i.e. damages to the dorm room, damage to property of others, bodily injury of another party, etc.)

Download the College Student Renter’s Insurance brochure

Reviewed the early arrival request process?

For students needing to return to campus earlier for work, programs, training, or activities, the Office of Housing will begin opening all halls early and will release more information in the Summer of 2024.

Students interested in arriving early will need to complete an Early Arrival Request Form. This form will be emailed to your student email once it is available. Approved students who complete the Early Arrival Request form will not receive additional charges for the approved early arrival dates.

Students needing to return earlier than the approved Early Arrival timeline, will need to complete a summer housing application and will be housed with our summer residents. There will be a prorated housing charge from the date of check-in to the end of the summer term and we will work to move you into your fall housing assignment as soon as possible.

Housing Services


The campus operates a Local Area Network that provides direct wired and wireless internet access to students living on campus. The IT Help Desk is also available at (731) 881-7900.


Residents in Arnold Pryor Place and Conner Community will have a washer and dryer in each apartment for their personal use that is included with their rent at no extra charge.

Laundry facilities are located in the basements of Cooper Hall, Ellington Hall, Browning Hall, and in the University Courts complex. These laundry facilities are equipped with state-of-the-art Speed Queen washers and dryers which operate with the Skyhawk Card for your convenience. Both washing and drying are free of charge to residents, the Skyhawk Card is used as authentication. All community laundry rooms have the Speed Queen App available for use to track their laundry. You can download the Speed Queen App through iOS or Android. You will need to create an account, add your location using the location pin “MARTIN”, and locate your laundry room to get started. After that,you will be able to view machine availability, remaining times on units, and receive notification whenyour laundry is done.

Laundry Tips

  • Separate your colors from your whites
  • Don't overload the washing machines
  • Download the Speed Queen app to see available washers and to receive a text notification when your laundry is finished.

Telephone Service

UT Martin operates its own telephone communications system. The cost of the local telephone service is part of the semester room rent. A voicemail account is also available for each line. All of the residence halls have a telephone outlet located in each room. Arnold Pryor Place, Conner Community, and University Courts have one telephone outlet per apartment. Residents are responsible for providing their own phone. For more information, please contact UTM Telephone Services at (731) 881-7905.

Cable Service

SpectrumU, a TV streaming service, is available to all UTM residents. SpectrumU lets you watch live TV anywhere on campus using your phone, tablet, laptop, desktop, or Roku device. Just download, enter the UTM email domain sign in using your UTM username and password and start streaming.

Getting Started

  • Visit the Apple App Store, Google Play, or ROKU Appstore to download SpectrumU
    • TIP: To avoid finding the separate SpectrumTV app, search for "SpectrumU," not just "Spectrum"
  • To view SpectrumU on a computer, laptop, or Smart TV (with web browsing), students can visit SpectrumTV.com while connected to the USI network.
    • On SpectrumTV.com, click on "University Student?" Sign in to SpectrumU.
    • You will be asked to enter your school domain. Enter utm.edu and click submit.
    • It will take you to a page that you will log in with your UTM username and password.
    • Then start streaming!

The following devices and OS version numbers are currently supported:

  • Android smartphones and tablets running Android 5 or above
  • iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch running iOS 11 or above
  • Kindle Fire Phone and all Kindle Fire models except for the 1st generation model
  • Mac: Safari 7 or higher, Firefox 45 or higher, or Chrome 43 or higher
  • PC: IE 11, Chrome 43 or higher, Firefox 45 or higher, or MS Edge 12 or higher


If you have an issue accessing SpectrumU on any device, please contact the IT Help Desk, call 731-881-7900 or email the Help Desk at helpdesk@utm.edu.

Mail Service

Residents in Browning, Ellington, and Cooper Halls will have an assigned mail box in the lobby of their building. Residents in Arnold Pryor Place and Conner Community will have an assigned mail box at the Skyhawk Mail Services located in the basement of Clement. This box will be for regular mail only. When shipping a package and a street address is required (usually when shipping FedEx or UPS), you should use the following, which is the street address of Skyhawk Mail Services where ALL student packages are delivered:

"Your given name"
"Appropriate Building & Room or UTM Box #" 
210 Hurt Street
Martin, TN 38238

Log on to your My UTMartin Portal, select “Banner Self-Service” on the menu bar, select your Personal Menu where you will find the address inquiry option to identify your exact mailing address.

For information on how to send and receive mail on-campus, please visit the UTM Post Office web site: Skyhawk Mail Services

Frequently Asked Questions

Are the rooms and bathrooms cleaned by housing?

Custodial services of resident bathrooms in Ellington, Cooper, Browning, and Conner Community will occur once a month.

Can I apply for Arnold Pryor Place (formerly University Village Phase 1)?

Arnold Pryor Place (formerly University Village Phase 1) is an upper-classmen community. Incoming new students may not apply for Arnold Pryor Place (formerly University Village Phase 1). For incoming students who prefer an apartment style assignment, Conner Community (formerly University Village Phase 2) is a freshmen preference community where assignment priority is given to freshmen based on application completion date.

Can I apply for Conner Community (formerly University Village Phase 2)?

Conner Community (formerly University Village Phase 2) is a freshmen priority community. While upper-classmen may apply for Conner Community (formerly University Village Phase 2), assignments will only be made after freshmen applying for Conner Community (formerly University Village Phase 2) have already been assigned.

Can I decorate my door?

When decorating your room door, you are not allowed to cover the room number or peepholes. Decorations should allow residents access to the locking mechanism and doorknob. Exterior doors are public spaces and if decorations do not comply with Housing policy they may be removed at the discretion of the University.

Can I get out of my contract or lease?

All leases are for an academic year (fall/spring) and remain active if you are an enrolled student at the main campus. When a student ceases to be enrolled at UTM, they are required to vacate the premises within 48 hours of withdrawal from the University. There are no refunds issued after October 1 for the fall term or March 1 for the spring term.

Can I have a pet on campus?

The only pets permitted in campus housing are fish, which can be contained in an aquarium of 25 gallons or less. Fees may be assessed to residents for any damaged caused to campus housing by an animal in their possession.

UTM Housing supports Federally protected service animals as well as Emotional Support Animals (ESA) that have been approved by the university. Please contact The Accessibility Resource Center for more information on the ESA approval process.

Can I leave my items in my room during winter break?

Residents are able to leave belongings in their rooms during the holiday break if they are returning in the spring, but UTM will not claim responsibility for these items. Campus security will continue to be on duty during the break. For security reasons, please remember to close and lock windows, lower blinds, and lock all doors.

Do I have to live on campus?

We know that living on campus gives you educational and developmental opportunities that will help you prepare for future careers.

With those opportunities in mind, the university requires that, effective Fall 2024, first-time students under 21 years of age sign an academic year lease.

Students may also be exempt from the requirement to live on campus while they live in the principal residence of a parent or legal guardian within the counties of Weakley, Henry, Carroll, Gibson, and Obion in Tennessee; and the counties of Fulton, Hickman, and Graves in Kentucky. Students desiring this exemption must apply and give supporting documentation.

Requests for exemption to the live-on requirement on the basis of compelling personal circumstances will also be considered. To begin the exemption process, students should first contact Mrs. Teresa Hibbard in the Office of Housing at 731-881-7737 or thibbard@utm.edu.

Students who meet the live-on requirement, have registered for classes, and have not completed a housing application/deposit or been approved for a housing exemption will receive a housing assignment at the lowest residence hall rate.

How can I hang decorations on my wall?

When hanging decorations on your walls, doors, or other surfaces remember to use only reusable, non-adhesive putty and small finishing nails. Glue, large nails, screws, duct tape, carpet tape, or double-sided tape will damage surfaces and you will be responsible for repair costs. Stickers, wallpaper, or adhesive-backed shelf paper cannot be affixed to any University property for the same reasons. Nothing should be hung on or around sprinkler system heads or windows. Residents are responsible for damages incurred by hanging items in their room or apartment that do not meet these standards.

How do I apply for housing on campus?

Applications are available online through the Housing Portal. There is a $50 deposit that is due upon completion of the application. The application fee is refundable if notification of cancellation is received by July 1 for the fall semester or December 1 for the spring semester. The University reserves the right to refuse any application for accommodations or to cancel any agreements or leases in the residential facilities. For more information please click here to visit our Application page.

How do I become a Resident Assistant?

Resident Assistant (RA) selection occurs once each semester in the fall and spring terms. Residents will be notified by email once the applications are available to submit. Compensation includes paid hours, a stipend, and housing

Before you apply, make sure you meet the below eligibility requirements:

  • Only current residents in campus housing may apply
  • Minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA
  • Must be at least a 2nd semester freshman
  • Clean student disciplinary record
  • Ability to pass a criminal and sex offender background check
  • Freedom from other job responsibilities including student teaching
  • Completed application with three completed reference forms

You can apply for Resident Assistant positions when they are posted here: http://www.utm.edu/offices-and-services/financial-aid-and-scholarships/student-employment-work-study/

How do I cancel housing?

  • Log into your My UTMartin Portal
  • Select “Banner Self-Service” on the menu bar
  • Select "Personal"
  • Select "Housing Application"
  • Select "Go to RMS Student Web for Housing"
  • You will then arrive at the Online Housing Portal landing page
  • Click the button or text labeled 'Housing Application'
  • At the bottom of the page click the link that matches your application type
  • On the next page, select the Cancel Code from the dropdown that matches your reason for cancelling
  • Type in any additional information in the cancellation notes field
  • Click 'Finish' to send your cancellation request. The request will enter workflow, and either be approved or rejected
  • NOTE: The housing deposit is only refundable for applications that are cancelled up to June 1 for the fall semester or December 1 for the spring semester.

How do I check out of my room?

Housing requests that all students complete their move-out within 24 hours of their last exam in the spring term. However, all students must be checked out before the building closes at 5:00 pm after commencement. Students moving into a summer campus housing assignment will be able to remain in their current assignment until their summer housing assignment is available.

When vacating your room, all residents must complete the express check-out envelope. Before a resident can check out of their room, it should be clean, and all personal belongings should be removed. Once this is completed, the resident can pick up their envelope at the front desk or hall office, complete the information on the front of the envelope, seal the keys inside the envelope, and drop it into the express check-out box in their hall.

Residence Life staff will conduct room inspections, and any damage charges will be applied to the student's account. Any noted damages are available for the student to review on their room inspection form in the Housing Portal.

How do I pay my Deposit?

All residence halls require a one-time $50 deposit. You can pay this deposit with your application but if you didn't there is still time. Choose how you would like to pay your deposit below.

  • Log into your My UTMartin Portal
  • Select “Banner Self-Service” on the menu bar
  • Go to the Personal Information tab
  • Click on Payments and Deposits
  • Click the Online Payments button
  • You should now be in TouchNet
  • Click on E-Deposits at the top of the page
  • Select Housing Deposit then click select
  • After selecting the deposit you wish to pay you will be able to enter your bank information, credit, or debit card

How do you determine where I get assigned in Housing?

All applications to the Office of Housing are prioritized based on the application date. When applying for housing, students have the opportunity to request a specific type of housing and make roommate requests. It is also possible to request private corner rooms in Browning and Ellington Halls. Every effort will be made to accommodate these requests. However, due to limited space, no guarantees can be made. Priority is given to students who apply earliest.

Roommate and suite mate requests will be granted, when possible, provided that the application and deposits are submitted at the same time, and each applicant requests their preferred roommate in writing. It is important to note that Conner Community (formerly University Village Phase 2) is a freshmen preference community, and priority will be given to freshmen based on the application date. Arnold Pryor Place (formerly University Village Phase 1) is an upperclassman community and can be applied for after completing the first year on campus. Students who apply for housing before March 31 will have the option to participate in the self-assignment process.

I'm having problems with my internet connection, who do I call?

Internet service is available in each room through wired connection or Wi-Fi. Internet access is free for residents on campus. Electronic devices can be used on our system as long as the devices are registered with the network online. For questions concerning internet access contact the Help Desk at 731-881-7900.

Is alcohol allowed on campus?

Consuming, manufacturing, possessing, distributing, dispensing, selling, or being under the influence of alcoholic beverages on University-controlled property or in connection with a University-affiliated activity is prohibited unless expressly permitted by University policy. University policy expressly prohibits alcohol in campus housing. State law requires parental notification of any student found in violation of this policy, whether on or off campus, if they are under 21 years of age.

Is public transportation available to students living on campus?

Public transportation is not provided by the campus. However residents can walk to anywhere on campus, from their building, in 10 minutes or less. Bicycle racks are also located near each residence hall for residents' convenience.

As for travelling around the local area, The North West Tennessee Human Resource Agency does provide public transportation. (Click here to find more information about NWTHRA transportation)

Are cigarettes, e-cigarettes or other tobacco products allowed on campus or in rooms?

Possession of cigarettes, e-cigarettes, or other tobacco products is allowed if the resident is 21 years of age or older. However, the use of cigarettes, e-cigarettes, and other tobacco products are prohibited on the UTM campus including inside campus housing. Violations will be referred to Student Conduct.

Once I move in, can I change rooms?

The University expects students to continue residency in the room to which they are assigned. However, we realize that changes are sometimes mutually beneficial. Through regularly scheduled procedures, room changes may be made by contacting your Hall Director. We will also hold a moving period during the first week of each semester where you can meet with your Hall Director to check for available room options.

What can I put on my University Village balcony?

Residents are welcome to place small plant containers and outdoor patio furniture on the balcony and porch areas, so long as the items do not impede ability to safely exit the apartment building. A clearance should be maintained from doors, breezeways, and stairs. Balconies and porches are not to be used as storage areas or for entrance or exit from the apartment unit.

Due to safety regulations, the following items are not permitted on balconies and porches:

  • Indoor furniture
  • Bicycles, scooters, or mopeds
  • Boxes
  • Flammable liquids
  • Grills or grilling accessories, such as lighter fluid, charcoal, propane
  • Any other item deemed a hazard by your Hall Director

What do I do if I am having a roommate conflict?

If you and your roommate(s) are not able to compromise and resolve the situation, ask the RA assigned to your floor or building to intervene by meeting with all involved roommates. The RA's role is that of a neutral mediator. If the problems persist, you may need to meet with the Hall Director for continued mediation. If problems are not resolvable after the above steps have been taken, all residents involved will be given new room assignments.

The Office of Housing or Assistant Director of Housing may intervene in a conflict if roommates have been unable to resolve a conflict at other levels.

What do I do if I get locked out of my room?

When students are locked out of their room, they should contact their assigned front desk in order to reach the RA on duty or a Housing staff member who will let them back into their room. More than three lockouts in a semester may result in disciplinary action.

What do I do if I have lost my room keys?

Residents are issued keys to their apartment/bedroom. Misuse of keys, such as loss or lending to others, jeopardizes safety and may be grounds for disciplinary action. Loss of a key or damaged keys should be reported to the Hall Director. If keys are lost, the locks will be changed at the resident's expense. The cost of replacing these are: room key (Browning, Ellington and Cooper Hall) $30.00, mail key $7.00, Cooper suite doors, University Village and floor doors keys are $55.00.

What do I do if I have lost my Skyhawk Card?

Temporary ID Cards may be issued if a resident has lost their Skyhawk card and plans on getting it replaced at the Skyhawk Card Office within 72 hours. Residents will need to contact their Hall Director to issue them a Temporary ID. If the resident fails to return the Temporary ID then the card will be replaced at the resident’s expense.

What do I do if there is a tornado warning?

In the event of a tornado warning, residents of Cooper, Ellington and Browning Halls need to seek shelter in the basements of the residence hall. University Village residents should seek shelter on the first floor in an interior walled section of an apartment or hallway. If you do not have time please go to your bathroom and stay away from all windows. Prior to an issued warning you may seek shelter in the basements of Cooper, Ellington, or Browning Hall.

What do I do with my bike if I bring it on campus?

Students are encouraged to use the bicycle racks provided for the students' convenience located near each residence hall. When keeping a bike in one of these racks, the student should always keep it securely locked. Bicycles may be stored in apartments but may not be hung from the ceiling, walls, or elsewhere. Storage of bicycles in hallways, stairwells, and balconies is not permitted. Any bicycle stored or chained in an unauthorized area inside or outside the halls will be removed. In addition, bicycles must never block or interfere with an exit or obstruct flow of traffic. At no time are motorbikes permitted anywhere inside the residence halls.

What happens if I damage property in my room?

Residents are responsible for the condition and care of the accommodations to which they are assigned and shall reimburse the University for damages to the room. Charges for damages and cleaning will be assessed to the student and should be paid promptly.

What happens if I don't have a roommate and haven't paid for a private room?

UTM Housing strives to ensure all rooms are occupied by the maximum allowable number of residents. In the event that one of the roommates moves out of a double occupancy space, the remaining resident will be assigned a new roommate. If available, residents may request a double room to be occupied privately at a higher rate from their Hall Director.

In the event that a new roommate is not available, and the resident does not wish to pay the private rate, we offer a No-Charge Private Room Agreement. This agreement allows the remaining resident to keep all of their belongings on their side of the room, ensuring that the other side can be occupied by a future roommate. It's important to note that failure to comply with this agreement by using the unoccupied side of the room will result in private room charges being placed on the student's account.

What is moving period and how does it work?

Moving period takes place during the first week of each semester where you can meet with your Hall Director to check for available room options.

What will I be charged for after I check out?

After a checkout, each room inspection form is reviewed. If deficiencies or damages are evident, the resident may be assessed a fee for replacements, cleaning, or repairs. Students will also incur fees for failing to return their keys or to complete an official checkout. These fees will be placed on the student's university account and should be paid in a timely fashion.

When can I have guests in my room?

We understand that having guests is an important aspect of your college experience. At UTM Housing, we have a guest visitation policy in place to ensure a comfortable and respectful living environment for all residents.

Guests are allowed to visit during approved hours, which may vary depending on your specific housing location. It's essential to familiarize yourself with the designated visiting hours for your area:

  • Browning, Ellington and Cooper Halls
    • Sunday - Thursday: Noon - Midnight
    • Friday and Saturday: Noon - 2:00 am
  • University Village
    • 24/7 Visitation
  • Cohabitation is not permitted in any campus housing property.
  • Please note that there is a difference between visitation and overnight stays.

To maintain a considerate living environment, we ask that you communicate with your roommates and suitemates in advance regarding any planned guest visits. This courtesy allows everyone to be aware and make necessary arrangements.

For the safety and security of our residents, all guests must be accompanied by the responsible resident at all times. Unescorted guests will not be permitted to remain in the building. We enforce this policy to ensure that residents have control over who enters the premises and to maintain a sense of security within our housing community.

Please keep in mind that as a resident, you are responsible for the actions and behaviors of your guests. This includes ensuring they comply with all applicable laws and campus policies. By abiding by these guidelines, we can create an inclusive and respectful living environment for everyone.

When can staff come in my room?

Entry by university authorities into occupied rooms of residence halls is divided into three categories: inspection, search, and emergency.

  1. Inspection is defined as the entry into an occupied room or apartment by university authorities to ascertain the health and safety conditions in the area, to check the physical condition of the area, to make repairs on the facility, or to clean an area.
  2. Search is defined as the entry into a room or apartment by on-campus authorities for the purpose of investigating suspected violations of campus regulations and city, state, or federal law. University officials shall have, if possible, the Hall Director accompany them on a search.
  3. An emergency exists when a delay necessary to obtain search authorization constitutes a danger to persons or property.

Where do I dispose of my trash?

All trash should be bagged and disposed of in the red dumpsters located near your hall. Do not leave trash outside of the dumpster. During move-in and move-out periods, additional trash receptacles (roll off dumpsters) will be provided throughout on-campus housing.

Who do I call if I live in the halls and need assistance?

If you find yourself in need of assistance, here is the information on who to contact based on your specific housing location:

For Browning, Ellington, and Cooper Hall residents, the desks are operational from 8am to Midnight, seven days a week. You can reach out to the desks for a variety of reasons, such as requesting assistance from your Resident Assistant (RA) or Hall Director (HD), reporting concerns, or if you find yourself locked out of your room. They are there to assist you.

Additionally, at the desks, any resident can check out various items including cooking utensils, board games, athletic equipment, hammocks, and more. Simply present your Skyhawk Card to access these resources.

For University Village Phase I residents, we ask that you contact the Cooper Hall front desk at 731-881-8900 if you require any assistance.

Similarly, for University Village Phase II residents, we recommend reaching out to the Ellington Hall front desk at 731-881-8930 or 8931

Remember, our housing staff is dedicated to ensuring a positive living experience for all residents. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact the appropriate front desk.

Browning, Ellington and Cooper Hall operate desks 8am to 12pm, 7 days a week. You can contact the desks to get telephone numbers, leave messages for residents, request assistance from your RA or HD, if you are locked out, need to report a concern, etc. Any resident can check out cooking utensils, board games, athletic equipment, hammocks, and much more at the desk by presenting their Skyhawk Card.

University Village Phase I residents who need assistance are asked to contact the Cooper Hall front desk at 8900 or 8901. University Village Phase II residents are asked to call the Ellington Hall front desk at 8930 or 8931.

Why is my assignment something other than my first choice?

After completing the application, room assignments will be made based upon application date and preferences. Students who are reapplying for housing will have an opportunity to use the housing portal to reserve their same room back or to select a new room.